Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Can I get a witness?

Luck was on our side last night - as well as a sober driver!



Last night Carl and I went to dinner at the best Sushi restaurant in Lompoc. (More on that later) After dinner we loaded into the Tahoe with friends. I drove because Carl had a few beers in his system. Pretty uneventful.



We were all laughing about the fact that my girlfriend had to weigh in at Weight Watchers the next morning and she had just gorged on seafood and soy sauce. We were trying to find a way to get rid of the water weight that would have a certain negative result! I suggested we get lemons! (Trust me, this is all relevant)



I made a quick turn off the main drag and turned toward the local market. When I turned on my blinker to enter the market parking lot I saw what I assumed was a teenager gunning his vehicle through an intersection and showing off. He tried to swerve around a stopped car and cut in front of us. I slammed the brake to let him pass the intersection. It all happened in slow motion. The Red Honda went airborne. I turned to watch him land and drive off. Only this wasn't a teenager and it wasn't an intersection. The Honda drove right through the glass front of a medical supply building! Details after that are blurred as I called for help and Carl ran with our friends to see if the driver was okay.



Turns out the driver was fine. He was an older hispanic man and he got out of the car as healthy and unscathed as the rest of us. He didn't have a scratch on him. He also didn't remember the accident and asked us who drove through the building. He didn't even recognize the car! He hopped out of the car and started moving equipment in the center. We were all sure he was smoking something when his niece came up and said that he has a disorder where he blacks out occasionally. He lost his license a long time ago, she said.



I'm glad he's okay, but mere seconds would have sent his vehicle through the windows of the Tahoe killing, if not seriously injuring, ALL OF US. Luck was on our side last night.



We ended up getting the lemons after all and Carl suggested we also get a lottery ticket. I passed on the offer. My luck had certainly run out for March 25.



UPDATE: HE WASN'T ARRESTED!!!



On 3-25-08 at 8:03 PM officers responded to the report of a vehicle that had crashed into a building in the 100 block of West Pine Ave. Upon arrival officers located a vehicle inside a storage area of Lompoc Artificial Kidney Center. The investigation revealed that the driver of the vehicle had a medical condition that caused him to loose control of his vehicle. The vehicle hit a plate glass window, continued into the building through double doors and came to rest approximately 50 feet inside of the building in the storage area. There were two employees inside the building when the collision occurred; they were not injured. No citations were issued, however, the driver is being referred to DMV for re-examination.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

I simply can't believe they didn't take that man into custody. Mental illness or not, driving on a suspended license and almost killing the cleaning crew deserves a time out.

I don't know what the DMV re-examining his record is going to do. His niece said they needed to tie him up to keep him from leaving the house, sometimes.

Crazy ass people.