Carl will tell you I'm nosey. I prefer the words investigative or intuitive, but he's got the right idea. Anyway, for some time I've been questioning my Sicilian heritage so I decided to do a little research (and I was hoping to find a little dirt about my ancestors along the way). I contacted an Uncle from my father's side of the family because I'd heard he did some research of his own years ago while vacationing in Italy. Here's just a taste of what I translated from the documents:
1) The Sicilian in me is actually half Sicilian and half Italian. Confused? Maybe that seems insignificant to you, but Sicilians hate Italians and Italians hate Sicilians. Well, all except these two ancestors apparently. I can only say that explains my personality. Oil & Water. Fire & Ice. If you know me you probably don't need any further explanation;
2) Our family home was bombed during WWII and only portions are still standing. It was built from ceramic (common in Italy) therefore it has never been reconstructed. I guess in Italy when something falls (or leans) they just leave it that way. That's one way to embrace life - release the death-grip on it;
3) The original trip to America (NYC) from Abruzzi has been attributed to Grandpa Giseppi in 1905. (Cute name, huh? I tried. Carl doesn't like it. There is NOT a Giseppi Bottolfson in our future.) The rest of the family emigrated to San Palo, Brazil from Pescopennataro;
4) There is something in the documents about the family having a "good heart". Since my grandfather has had several open heart surgeries and I'm pretty sure there's a pig valve in him somewhere I don't think they mean the organ;
and the most interesting piece of evidence
5) Our family surname originated from Ponzius Pilatus. That's right - the Roman Judge that sentenced Jesus to death. You know him as Pontius Pilate. So even though, in a way, we all killed Jesus, Carl has taken a liking to this part of my ancestry. Now whenever he does something wrong he says, "Well at least my ancestors didn't sentence Jesus to death." Yuk Yuk. Laugh it up Carl. You might go to Heaven, but you'll be lonely up there without me.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment