Tuesday, September 16, 2008

GratiTuesday

It's time for a little shout out to the Lord, so you know it must be GratiTuesday, where I can be vocally thankful for something in my life.

I was all primed and ready to write about my recent cold and sing praises to my new drainage tubes that prevented a painful ear infection.

Well, that post isn't going to happen.

I have an ear infection.

A doozy.

I thought about calling this post "Janessa and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" but that doesn't invoke feelings of thankfulness and praise, now does it? (But it's a fun title so don't be surprised if you see it later)

Therefore, I'm about to put an incredible amount of spin on this day and try to show you that I can find something to be grateful about if I try hard enough.

I'm also going to try and do it without creating a marathon blog post.

I'm not sure I mentioned it here, but I have talked about my tubes many times. I guess I was a little misinformed about the purpose of my "tubes" because I thought I got them to PREVENT ear infections.

Isn't that your impression of drainage tubes? To drain the infection?

My bad.

Of course my ear infection started on Friday night, you know, because the ENT office was closed and my ears are very aware of my ENT's office hours.

Monday morning, before I even sat down at my office I called my Dr's office and got the LAST appointment they have available for the day. THE LAST APPOINTMENT.

Two O'Clock.

Did I mention it was the LAST APPOINTMENT they had that day?

Feeling very grateful for the last appointment I got everything done at work left my office at 1:45, making sure I'd make it to the Dr's office in plenty of time. I certainly didn't want to miss my opportunity to let Dr. ENT know how displeased I was that I have an ear infection with drainage tubes, for Jebus sake.

Well guess what? The military was playing war and the base was locked down.

For an hour.

One ENTIRE hour.
No one comes in.

No one goes out.

Did I mention that two o'clock was Dr. ENT's only opening for the day?

Did I mention my ears hurt?

Guess who showed up an hour late to her appointment begging for forgiveness and antiobiotics?

Tail tucked between my legs. Me.

Turns out I had a malfunctioning tube that only one person in the entire office could fix and guess what day she works.

That's right.

Monday.
And today is?
Monday.

So I am eternally grateful to Dr. ENT for allowing me to be late for my appointment and then for Ms. Garfinkel and her "Monday only schedule" (whatever that's about) for fixing my clogged up, malfunctioning, brand new drainage tube and preventing me from another week of pain while I wait for her to return on her regularly scheduled Monday.

Oh, and while I was in the waiting room I saw this.

I've had plenty of ear infections in my day but I'm pretty sure I've never looked this dead.
Is that not the scariest looking sick kid you have EVER seen?

2 comments:

Cassandra said...

Wow, that is a creepy kid. I know the artist was going for a shadow effect on that left eye, but wow...

Oh, and I'm glad they were able to drain your ear, too!

the mccann clan said...

Yowzers! Perhaps it's a halloween photo they've mistakenly left up all year-round?

So sorry about the ear trouble, but I'm so glad it all worked out. Those base lock-downs are some of the most frustrating things in the world! Another reason to live off-base if you can.