Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday

So today is another WFMW over at Shannon's and instead of saying what works for me I'm supposed to ask for advice.  

wfmwbanner.jpg

I wasn't prepared for this.

How could I be prepared to ask for help when, clearly, I think I know everything?

So I'm going to tell you a little story about my obsession with snack cakes.  

If you feel like you should be helping others with their problems, fashion or otherwise, head over to Shannon's and give her a hand.  

So, a few weeks ago I purchased some Hostess Ding Dongs at the grocery store.  Despite my disappointment that they no longer come in a the foil wrapper, I tried one anyway.

And, honestly?  Not really a fan anymore.

I don't know if the folks at Hostess have changed the Ding Dong recipe, but I found them to be drier than dirt.  Once I bit into that faux chocolate coating, the inner cake just fell apart.  I did something I never thought I'd do and threw away the rest of the box.

Mainly, because I knew, at some point, PMS would set back in and I'd eat the whole box in one sitting, all the while thinking how dry they taste, but who cares because they're chocolate?  I must have it.

I hosted my own snack cake intervention.

Then, at some point last week, a friend mentioned the Twinkie.  MMMMMMMmmmmm.  Twinkies.  Although I'm not usually a fan of the non-chocolate anything, it sounded pretty good.

So while I was at Costco last week, guess what I bought? 

That's right, baby.  The Twinkie.

I had barely gotten them out of the trunk when I opened the box.  The first thing I noticed is that this actually an oily residue on the inner plastic of the Twinkie wrapper.  This does not bode well for the amount of trans fats contained therein but likely does wonders for the moisture content.

I opened one and waited for my reaction.  It tasted like white bread covered in butter and sugar and it left some sort of residue on my tongue.  I threw the Twinkie in the trash immediately.  My tongue had an oil coating that would rival the Exxon Valdez.

Let me say I have NEVER turned down sugar in the history of the universe.  So for now, the house of Bottolfini?  No longer fans of the Hostess Snack Cake.

It's a sad day.

2 comments:

Cassandra said...

Sad day, yes, but I'm proud of you nonetheless!

I had something similar happen with McDonald's a few months ago and haven't had the urge to go back since.

I don't know if it's just the maturation of taste buds or what, but it's got to be a good thing, right? I mean, the more we pay attention to what we put into our bodies the better we're bound to feel, right?

Right?

the mccann clan said...

Good for you! My weakness is the Hostess Cupcake. You know the one, with the cream filling and white icing swirls. Hmm - I need to run to the store! ;o)