Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gratitude - on Thursday

After a year of normal 65-70 degree Central Coast days, last night the marine layer came in very heavy and damp. I thought we were finally going to get some rain over here!

The increasingly dark clouds that rolled by my window reminded me of how much I loved rainy days. Just like with cold winter weather, there's something about threatening weather outside that makes me feel warm and peaceful inside.

Oh how I miss weather.

I was pondering why I was so delighted by the dark dampness rolling in as I cleaned the dinner dishes and I think I finally figured out what it is: bad weather days are rare opportunities to fully appreciate the simple gift of shelter.

Here in wealthy America it's easy to take for granted how easily and lavishly our basic needs of food, water and shelter are met. With the first two, I find that there are more frequent reminders: every now and then when I walk into my grocery store I'm able to take a step back and see the almost unimaginable abundance that is available to us, and when I return home after walking the furkids to the park on a summer day I occasionally remember to be grateful that I have such easy access to clean water. But how often do I really appreciate simply having a sturdy roof over my head?

It usually takes a power outage to remind me. Here on base I occasionally feel a pang of envy at the McMansions in the neighborhoods of Santa Barbara or even Santa Maria enjoying their daily power . We live in the oldest houses in our immediate area with the power lines stretched all over base, and sometimes as I drive home I think about how nice it would be to have a newer house with some grand layout that included a spiral staircase, lavish deck, designer kitchen and most importantly underground infrastructure! But then, when I see a lawn chair tossed across the yard by the wind, I instantly feel thrilled that I just have a stable, sturdy house that keeps my family safe. Even when the fog gets so thick that I can't see the back fence and the power goes out for the zillionth time this month, not a single drop of rain touches the heads of my furkids; and even as the screens rattle loudly as the wind gusts get more powerful, we don't feel so much as a single puff of air. Here in our semi-carpeted, temperature-controlled little fortress, even in the midst of a raging winds we are not only safe, but we are comfortable.

Anyone else love a good rainy day?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

we have had over three weeks of rain, so NO...

Cassandra said...

Rain has always been my favorite weather. It makes everything green. When you grow up in California with its yearly "fire season," you begin to truly appreciate what a gift rain can be.

Even though I'm living in pretty much the same house you are (just a mirror image), I like my little house, too. It's doing the best it can with the limited resources available to it. Poor thing.