Sunday, August 31, 2008

Stupid Holiday Weekends

Well, it wouldn't be  holiday weekend if one of us didn't end up sleeping in the hospital.  I just never imagined it would be half of us!

Friday night I came home from work to find Bruiser with a nasty, bloody infection on his stomach.  It looked a lot like his last staph infection so I made a quick call to our Vet and she agreed to get him in before the weekend started.  We spent a few hours having the infection tested and a few hundred dollars to get the necessary treatments.

We were out the door.  I couldn't believe our luck.  We made it before an expensive ER visit was necessary.  I felt so lucky!

On to Saturday where I clean the entire house from top to bottom and felt so good about it.  Carl finished his homework and I ran to the market to get the week's groceries.  After putting the groceries away and settling in for a movie I started not to feel well.  A little nauseous and maybe a bit of a headache starting.   I took the "miracle" drug Imitrex and laid down for a bit.  

I didn't make it long before an ER visit was required. Of we went to the dreaded Lompoc ER (because it was the ONLY place open).  I waited 3 hours to see a Dr. who decided that I may have a plethora of other disorders so...the blood sticks and testing began.  It was another hour or two before an angry nurse tried, without success, to obliterate my veins with IVs.  (Oh how I wanted my mommy.)  

Finally a nicer, but not by much, nurse was able to locate a vein in my hand and set me up with a group of drugs that not only didn't work but caused constant vomiting.  Five hours later I gave up and faked a 'miracle cure' so I could go home.

And here I sit, on my living room couch with two extremely bored dogs and a wicked dizzy brain.

Sorry about the marathon blog - I'm hopped up on something.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Oh, jeez! Well, you know they say that often things like this (sickness and whatnot) happen on the weekends or especially long holiday weekends because we relax a bit and our bodies see it as a good time to bring something to our attention. It's a sure-fire way to ruin a good vacation, but just try telling the body that.

How is Bruiser? Poor guy! I guess dogs with allergies are pretty thick on the ground around here - or at the very least things that give dogs allergic reactions!