I've never shared this recipe but mostly out of shame. My grandmother on my father's side insists that there is "no such thing as good Italian food fast" and I'm afraid that she just might be a little bit incorrect about this meal. Therefore, I declare that this meal is NOT Italian, just good. (Or maybe it's not the 19th century anymore and things are made a little faster.)
Either way, I'm NOT saying Grandma D is wrong. No way. No how.
This is also not Grandma D's recipe, it's mom's. So Grandma would probably have a complaint about that too.
Anyway, on to the recipe. I might warn you that I DO NOT measure but I'm a fairly good guesstimator, if I do say so myself.

BULBS
- 1.5 # of Ground Turkey or Beef
- 1 tube of Ritz crackers
- 3 eggs
- 2 TBSP Chili Powder
- 2 TBSP Flour
- 1 Onion
- 1 Green Pepper
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- Salt
- Pepper
SAUCE (Oh yah, you're making the gravy too)
- Can Of Tomato Juice (Big Can)
- 290z of Tomato Puree
Get out a stock pot and pour in the Tomato Juice and Tomato Puree. Bring to a boil for about 15 minutes.
In a separate boil mix together all of the other Bulb ingredients and add to the sauce in even balls after the sauce has boiled 15 minutes. Like this:

I used an ice cream scoop to get the bulbs the same size so they cook evenly. Use whatever you want to make them even.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about an hour and a half. Your house will smell amazing! Serve over pasta al dente with garlic bread (and if you have kids add some sort of vegetable).

I made Halloween cupcakes for dessert...um, out of a box. Hehe.



5 comments:
Look at you getting all fancy with dessert, and everything.
The recipe looks good - and like something I can eat (dairy free)! One question: is the tomato juice actual juice or sauce?
Juice. Like the kind you drink.
Wow, this looks really good!! I'm so guilty of heating up frozed bagged meatballs (guess what's for dinner tonight?), and it's so evident when there is something better to be had! I'm gonna have to give these a try!!
PS - So tomato drinking juice. Not the V8 type stuff though, just plain juice? Huh.
oh I am so going to make that,one question ( I actually had two but someone else asked the first one) how much is in a tube of ritz, we just have boxes, not tubes...?
You'll be so glad you did! It's so good!
A tube of Ritz crackers equals about 3/4 of a cup to about a whole cup. Whatever makes them stick together.
Enjoy!
Post a Comment