Monday, July 14, 2008

Gardening

I'm not sure how I feel about gardening.  I felt some pressure to try it since I finally live in a climate that has a 12 month growing season.  

At my last home, I had a gardener and had mostly green bush-like stuff in the yard.  You know. Easy stuff.

So when mom came to visit and built me a lovely space for a vegetable garden I watched it for a while.  It was intimidating.  

Finally, I attempted tomatoes (any dummie can grow tomatoes, right?), squash (oh how I love zucchini bread) and onions (a girl can never eat enough onions!)  I should have tried carrots, jalapenos, cilantro, sage, and other things I use on a daily basis, but I was new.  Remember?

My garden is growing nicely, as evidenced by the photo below.  The only problem is that, well, there is no fruit.  I have a 5ft tall tomato plant (I used fertilizer, it's like steroids apparently) with no tomatoes!  I have a 3 foot wide squash plant with no zucchini!  

So what do I do, you ask, to get fresh veggies on my table?  I cut a whole in my fence and borrow from my neighbor who has managed to grow all of this in only one month.  


1 comment:

Cassandra said...

What in the world did she do?!? Of course, I probably couldn't even have gotten as far as you did.. though jalapenos, cilantro and maybe oregano sound fantastic!