In light of my recent post, I think today I'm going to be grateful for Modern Medicine.
Not only did I go to the ER for my migraine. The same day I suffered from third degree sunburns. Morphine helped ease the pain of both.
(By the way - when I told my husband that my sunburn still hurt, he told me the Morphine was busy working on my migraine. When I asked him if he was serious, he had a blank look on his face. Hilarious! He thought the Morphine had instruction to work on my head only. Duh!)
Thanks to modern medicine, many of us can expect to live long and relatively healthy lives. But imagine living before the age of modern medicine and clean drinking water.
Did you know that there was a reason women used to wear black wedding dresses? They also doubled as funeral attire! Only a century ago, the average life expectancy was 50 years old. People died in great numbers of disease that today, we rarely hear of like smallpox, diptheria, typhoid. We now have vaccines for all three. I'm thankful for that.
After my weekend ER visit, I'd have to say I'm most thankful for Morphine. It makes those of us with migraines (or lack of common sense to use sunscreen in the California sun) more comfortable.
Thanks to modern medicine, many of us can expect to live long and relatively healthy lives. But imagine living before the age of modern medicine and clean drinking water.
Did you know that there was a reason women used to wear black wedding dresses? They also doubled as funeral attire! Only a century ago, the average life expectancy was 50 years old. People died in great numbers of disease that today, we rarely hear of like smallpox, diptheria, typhoid. We now have vaccines for all three. I'm thankful for that.
After my weekend ER visit, I'd have to say I'm most thankful for Morphine. It makes those of us with migraines (or lack of common sense to use sunscreen in the California sun) more comfortable.


1 comment:
Yeah, Morphine's pretty cool. Of course, the one time I was on a Morphine drip they wouldn't give me enough of it... buttheads. My ankle was a sack of pulverized bone, for crying out loud!
Sorry, I'm glad it worked well for you... never mind my drug envy.
If we're talking about things that improve quality of life, I'm grateful for indoor plumbing and "s" bends. Seriously. Just try to imagine what your own neighborhood would smell like without them - never mind the diseases!
Post a Comment