Tuesday, July 1, 2008

GratuiTuesday

It's time for a little shout out to the Lord, so you know it must be GratuiTuesday, where I can be vocally thankful for something in my life.

Almost exactly one year ago, my sweet baby Divita was diagnosed with Addison's disease. It is a disease that causes the Adrenal Glands to atrophy and can be fatal. It's a tough disease to get under control, in part because very few Veterinarians understand it and because of the massive financial commitment required to treat it. All too often the beloved family pet dies before the diagnosis can be made. We were lucky.

Now we are in California and we haven't had much luck finding a Vet that understands the disease. We have cycled through 7 Vets and one serious crash that landed us in the Santa Barbara ER. I have a hard time getting my fears about this disease under control but there is one person that really helps me.

So today I am thankful for my friend Elizabeth. She has a dog, Raider, that also has Addison's Disease. She is an amazing canine lover that understands the disease like no one else I've met. She lets me email her all of the crazy questions I come up with and I can call her in the middle of the night from the ER with all my worries. She understands my undying love for Divita (and Bruiser) and doesn't think I'm crazy for it. We talk about our dogs and have built a wonderful friendship. She might be in California this year and I'm going to drive 7 hours each way to meet her. She's worth it!

She is my angel and today I am thankful for her knowledge and friendship. I hope that someday I can repay her for all that she has done for me.

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

Friends make everything easier - especially something rare and difficult to deal with like Addison's Disease.

7 hours. Where in the world is she going? Redding? What in the world is up there?!?

the mccann clan said...

Yea for great friends and for sweet Divita! Here's to many more years with them both...

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Nessa! Good friendship is a two way street...

I am hoping to go to San Francisco later this year.